Friday, July 2

branded for life ...

I remembered this "Fight Club" quote when I was reading No Logo last night (this morning, more accurately).
"We're consumers. We are by-products of a lifestyle obsession. Murder, crime, poverty, these things don't concern me. What concerns me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, some guy's name on my underwear ... ".

NoLogo discusses the impact of brands and makes very interesting reading on how far companies will go to establish brand awareness among consumers. It also explains some motivations behind monstrous advertising campaigns and budgets. Interesting stuff...

I was reminded again of those thoughts when a friend asked me to try out The Political Compass; making it the 3rd or 4th time I've tried it in the last year. Politics as a current affairs topic has never interested me, but this is more akin to a personality and morality test, really. I notice with some interest that my opinion seems to be drifting steadily leftwards each successive time I try it. Indications of a shifting viewpoint ? Or just familiarity with the questions and canned thought-out responses instead of visceral ones?

Wooo. This entry is way too serious. Therefore, dear readers, I present to you the one and only Maria Sharapova. Proof positive of two things.. That good things do indeed come out of the frozen wastes of Siberia (who'd have thunk it?) and that hot babes can play tennis too (you heard that, Anna?)

|

<< Home