Wednesday, December 29

...

Tsunami news. I don't think any written words can ever adequately sum it up, so I won't even try. A few random related snippets follow, in a (probably futile) attempt to prevent myself from becoming all maudlin and depressed again about this...

US Geological Survey - Asia for some information about earthquakes in the region. I used to haunt the site when I was living in an earthquake prone area a few years back. Notification by email here. The Andaman and Nicobar islands are still experiencing aftershocks, upto 6.2 on the Richter scale. It's unconfirmed, but I remember reading that anything larger than 7.0 will generate a new tsunami. Slightly older report here, about the top earthquakes (excluding ones after 2002), useful in that it explains the Richter scale. Summary for the TV generation: 9.0 is a pretty big honking earthquake, but it's not the largest ever. That distinction goes to Chile in the 1960s, where a 9.5(!) was recorded). Wikipedia link on Richter scale. One note of academic curiosity, I wonder how the Mercalli scale measures these incidents.

Off that determinedly technical viewpoint, a list of charities collecting for Sri Lanka can be found here. Oxfam is probably the easiest if you're in the UK, and I know a person working for them in SL.

|

<< Home