Tuesday, March 15

life imitates bash

Or a BBC article that I can't seem to find the URL for... I have more machines than I really know how to deal with. I got a machine as a demo machine sometime in September last year. Since there are already 3 machines clustered around my feet (say hello to EMR) and a distinct scarcity of network ports, the machine was packed off to some place and I logged in remotely. Did the demo, forgot about the machine, went off to a conference (and visited SL).

Today, I get an email:
Our records indicate that you are the designated owner of PCXXX and we would like to update the Linux installation on this machine. When can someone visit to perform the update ?.
Crawl underneath my desk and realize that, nope, this PC ain't under my desk. Where is it ? Fire up a shell connection and it connects just fine. But where the hell is the machine ?
16:20:46 up 164 days, 1:11, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00.
No one has rebooted the machine in around 6 months. Probably since the day it was set up. Ack!. Admit shamefacedly to myself...
Err. I think I've lost the machine. I don't know where it is... but I can still login ? So at least no one has nicked it or anything.

15 minutes later, they find it nestling under a vacant desk. On a lower floor. Dammit. Which is marginally better than the bash quote.
<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Which brings me to something even more bizarre. At some point between a sand strewn Mid East airport and SL, I had my cellphone nicked last year. Never got around to replacing it and never bothered cancelling the SIM either. Now, some people I know still haven't registered the fact that lost phone = no point calling that mobile number. And insist on calling me. And still say ...
Hey, I called you yesterday and I got the answering machine. Left a message but you never replied. Err. I'm sure the petty thief who swiped the phone will take them up on the invite to visit the pub.

|

<< Home