Sunday, February 13

random things

I needed to get to a net connection and Google to find out that shell scripts can, in fact, generate random numbers. I tried the standard random char generators, but it seemed too kludgy for what is, on the face of it, a fairly simple task. Turns out, there is a $RANDOM available in bash. But anyway, now that's sorted out, I can get a random bash.org quote without having to be online. The depths that I sink to keep myself amused. *sigh*

In other news, Intel's wireless drivers have an opensource alternative. Link here. I'm trying them out, in the vain hope that my Linux wireless problems will get sorted out. On a somewhat related note, The Linux bootup process, as seen on Slashdot.

Oh, and more randomness.. The Lake Woebegone effect explained. And the bash.org quote to go with it.

|

<< Home